Airbnb is a common for travellers. But have you heard about Airbnb Experiences?
Beside staying in the Airbnb, customer can experience all the local activities from designing and creating your own batik prints, to testing your courage as you abseil down a waterfall in Janda Baik, Airbnb, the world’s leading community-driven hospitality company, is encouraging local Malaysians to “Live and Lepak” with over 120 Airbnb Experiences.
Fortunately, we are among the lucky ones to try first hand of this Airbnb Experiences. It happens at Nouri Glass Villa in Hulu Langat, Selangor.
Do you know?
Malaysia is a popular global destination with a growth of 99% year-over-year in guest arrivals, making it the fastest growing market in Southeast Asia. Domestic travel is on the rise as well, attesting that there is much to be discovered whether you are an international traveller or a local. With the rising trend of a new experience-based travel economy, we find locals wanting to further engage in their local communities, especially over long weekends and school holidays.
Live, vs. visit, where what you do becomes the Destination in Itself
A new trend is arising. Even when travelling within Malaysia, locals are looking for a new way to rediscover their own backyard. From adventurous solo travellers, to mums thinking of ways to engage the family, Airbnb Experiences make travel magical again. Experiences immerse travellers in local communities around the world by offering curated, one-of-a-kind activities that are handcrafted and led by local experts.
Lepak, where you can now get rewarded for relaxing
“Don’t lepak! Go study!” is a phrase we are all familiar with, where parents are constantly advocating for us to make “better” use of our time.
Now, Airbnb Experiences creates new economic opportunities by allowing people to unlock their hobbies and make money from them.
Fuad, Airbnb Experience Host of Magical Kampung Baru, says
“I get to help travellers explore authentically and immerse themselves into a local area and culture. A place has lots of stories to be told, and you will only find out when you know a local. For example, I enjoy sharing how the street names of Kampung Baru is actually named after locals who contributed to the wellbeing of the kampung folks.”
He charges RM96 for each session.
Beyond human connection, this new way of travel is powered by people. Airbnb’s “Live and Lepak” campaign aims to encourage locals to relax and find meaning in their passions, while enlivening the already-vibrant Malaysian creative community.
“We are excited to support a new wave of entrepreneurs in the local community and as the travel industry continues to grow, Airbnb promotes tourism that is local, authentic, diverse, inclusive, and sustainable. Malaysians are creative and passionate entrepreneurs, and Airbnb Experiences are a great way to unleash economic opportunity for people to monetise their passions and talents. Our greatest assets are time and potential and Experiences is a way to unlock that.” – says Parin Mehta, Director of Airbnb Experiences, Asia Pacific
Here are some Airbnb Experiences aimed to inspire locals as they decide what to do over the weekend, or consider being an Airbnb Experience Host themselves. Airbnb Experiences are also categorised based on passion points.
- Food & Drinks
- For Foodies By Foodie
- Sundowner Walk: Speakeasy + Chinatown
- Learn to Make Healthy Malaysian Dishes
- Arts & Design-Globally, 28% of over 15,000 Experiences now offered on Airbnb are rooted in the arts. Arts & Design are a way for to get under the skin of a local culture and meet passionate individuals, proud of their heritage and finding innovative ways to keep local traditions alive
- Discover the Beauty of Malaysia Batik
- Introduction to Gemmology
- Making Tea Ceremony in a Hidden Vintage House
- Nature & Outdoors-You don’t need to be an athlete to do this. There are various Experiences available dependent on the amount of time you have over the weekend, or the level of fitness, but they have one thing in common that they can promise you, VIEWS VIEWS VIEWS!
- Waterfall Hiking Day Trip + Batu Caves
- Waterfall Abseiling in Janda Baik
- Magical Kampung Bahru Tour
- Social Impact-Locals are also using the platform as a way to give back to the community by hosting Social Impact Experiences. Airbnb Social Impact Experiences provide a local host with the chance to share more about a cause they are passionate about. Airbnb waives all fees, and 100% of the funds collected from guests goes to the charitable organisation chosen by the local host
- Traditional Malay Dance Workshop
- Discover the Deaf Community of Malaysia
- Discover art galleries in Kuala Lumpur
Founded in 2008, Airbnb’s mission is to create a world where people can belong through healthy travel that is local, authentic, diverse, inclusive and sustainable. Airbnb uniquely leverages technology to economically empower millions of people around the world to unlock and monetize their spaces, passions and talents to become hospitality entrepreneurs. Airbnb’s accommodation marketplace provides access to 5+ million unique places to stay in more than 81,000 cities and 191 countries.
With Experiences, Airbnb offers unprecedented access to local communities and interests through 15,000 unique, handcrafted activities run by hosts across 1,000+ markets around the world. Airbnb’s people-to-people platform benefits all its stakeholders, including hosts, guests, employees and the communities in which it operates.